This past weekend we spent some time in Wales... not Whales haha. No one knew what to expect from this trip because it's not a place you hear about everyday. On Thursday we hopped on the bus at 8:30 and were in for a good 3 hour bus ride. Quality nap time! BYU requires a certain amount of hours of road trips to be church history sites... typical. So we spent the whole day with Peter (our guide from Preston) going around the Cotswolds checking out church sites. Yeah it got pretty old pretty quick but that is when we have the best time and make the best memories it seems like haha. The most fun thing we did that day was climb to the top of this Beacon. He told us it was a little leg stretch.. pfff we were all panting and stuggling getting to the top! But it was well worth it. Although we have never experienced anything as windy as it was up at the top!
After a full day of church sites we got to our hostel at about seven. I don't know where to begin. This hostel was nasssst. We are talkin Hotel de Hollande status (still not as bad). Ha of course me and the girls I was roomies with all got stuck up in the attic. No joke, we were ducking to get into our room and there were six of us just crammed in there. We had to put on our own sheets, pillow cases, duvet, and mattress cover. I was sick to my stomach. Just stains and hairs that were NOT mine ALL over. It was not okay! We made a great documentation of it all that's for sure hahah. Our bathroom was a freakin sauna and our window would only open not even half way! What an experience.
Op.. not hers.
bottom bunk literally on the ground.
hahahah hanging from Annie's bunk!!
Getting the picture? Luckily the next day Elise and I could redeem ourselves with a run. It was so beautiful! Such a small little town though. Why we went running... I have no idea. I had to SHOWER in the sickest shower ever. I probably have an STD or a staff infection that I don't even know about. The shower smelled so so gross. I just got in and out and tried to hold my breath the whole time. I felt more dirty than when I got in before! Haha. Shoot. It was sick.
After my glorious shower we got back on the bus and headed to Tintern Abbey. This was like Fountains Abbey. Not as big, but just as cool for sure. We weren't there for very long but had a good time.
Following Tintern we went to the Big Pit. This is a large coal mine. It was ten times cooler than we anticipated! We got to suit up with helmets and head lamps and go underground into the mines. We had such a riot because our tour guide Rob was the bomb! We loved him. He told us the coolest stuff about the mines. It was ten times more interesting than I thought for sure. So Rob was just crackin jokes left and right. Elise's head lamp had dropped and he was making fun of her
for it. Later on mine fell off as well and he heard me say "shiz." So he stops (we were in a group of about 12 girls) and said, "What did you just say?" "Do you guys say shit in America?"
Something along the lines of that. We all started cracking up and got into a big language discussion.
He would not drop the topic and ended asking me if I needed to take a shit. I lost it. Ha we were all
rolling. So the rest of the way he just kept joking back and forth with me. He found it a little too amusing. When we got back to the lift to take us back up, he announced to his buddy that the blondie who dropped her light was dying to take a shit. OH MY. Not quite something you want to be announced to anyone especially when it isn't true? Haha. At least everyone got a laugh out of it. It may not sound very funny typed out... but I won't lie, it was pretty hilarious.
When we finished up at the Big Pit, we headed off to Cardiff. We were finally in a decent part of Wales where we could enjoy ourselves and something was going on! We also were in a hotel. That's always a plus haha. We headed out to Cardiff bay. It kind of reminded me of newport. It was so pretty and had a big shopping center and restaurants everywhere. We also found a "merry-go-round!" You better believe we got right on it when we saw it.
We went and ate at Wagamama's and then walked around for a bit more. Then we just went and had girl talk back in the hotel. It was a much better day than the day before! And the fact that I was sleeping in my own hair was a bit more comforting....
Saturday we woke up and headed into the town of Cardiff. This was also much better than expected. There was a big Rugby game that day between Wales and Ireland so there were people everywhere! We were set free to do whatever we wanted for the rest of the day before we went back to London. The first thing we did was go buy all of our souvenirs of course. Then we just walked around the town. It was darling and the fact that there was game that afternoon made the environment! There was a small market than Annie and I went and checked out. We tried some fresh little Welsh cakes... yummmy. Whenever Annie and I get separated from everyone else something always happens. We got attacked by a man who wanted to paint our faces for the game.. did we let him? Yes. Hahah. It started out great with the dragon but then he added some red blob to the other side of our cheeks. He then proceeded to grab my camera and snap a picture. We had a good laugh and so did everyone else when we got onto the bus.
Cardiff Castle
To finish up our experience in Cardiff we went to Fagan's Museum. It was a museum of an old Welsh town. It was so cute! It was a big farmland. We couldn't figure out why we had such a great time there haha. Overall it ended up being another great trip to add to the list!
baby sheepies!!!
The old School






















No comments:
Post a Comment