I probably should have titled this post "best weekend in Europe." I went to Belgium with Annie and Brenda. Whoever knows the Eichers is automatically jealous, I know. We had too much fun. It all began with poor Brend getting in a day late with zero luggage. She's such a sport and ended up packing some of Annie's stuff and we took off around seven on Saturday night. We took the chunnel into Brugge and got their pretty late that night so we just went straight to our hotel. Cutest hotel I've ever stayed in! I may or may not had an hour long bath. Haha. I'm not even a bath girl at all! Sooo that might give you a clue of how happy I was to have a nice size bathroom that I didn't have to share with 500 other people. Heaven. I could go off about how great just the hotel was itself hahah but I'll spare whoever is reading this.
The next day we got up at the crack of dawn (10:00) haha and got ready to head out into Brugge. I loved it. Such a darling little city! The buildings are indescribable. They each are so different and have the coolest architecture. The plaza we went into first had little buggy rides and bike tours. Just cute. Then we went and saw the only Michael Angelo piece that isn't in Italy. It was inside one of the more pretty cathedrals I have seen. The art work they had inside was incredible. After, we ended up taking the canal tour. So beautiful and just a blast. It was jam packed with every nationality possible haha.
After the canal tour we finished walking around the little city. Of course we had to go check out all of the candy and chocolate shops! They were too darling. Although i've never seen such detailed chocolate before. I now know why Belgium is known for their chocolates! Haha....
We had a good laugh. Then we went and caught our train to Ghent. This town without a doubt was my favorite! It was the most quaint and adorable place I have ever seen. After we checked into our hotel we went out to explore a little bit. Yeah well we ended up walking into the most amazing castle i've seen yet! I was spazing out a little bit haha. It was called the Gravensteen Castle. It was closed at the time so we ended up going back the next day. We ended up just wandering around for the rest of the night. Such a fun walk. Everything was beautiful and we really had the most amazing views. All of the buildings and everything about Ghent was unreal ha. I loved it. The next morning we went straight to the castle. It was out of a story book. Super legit. We went through the whole thing and even into the torture chambers where they had all of the devices that were used. I literally became nauseous. I can't believe the things they used to do to people. Uuggghh.
After the castle we went to the Belfry. We climbed to the top where there was a beautiful view of the whole city. So much fun! Although the climb to the top-I thought it would never end. Haha the stairs just kept winding up and up annnd up. It was very clausty too. We went back through Ghent (also a very small city) and caught our last train to Brussels.
Brussels was my least favorite, but had the B E S T stinkin waffles I have ever had in my life. (Supposedly there is a place in slc where they import them and cook them the same!!) It's main plaza was very similar to Brugge's but a bit bigger. It was much more ghetto than any other place we have been to I felt like. Probably because more French live there than other parts of Belgium haha. We didn't spent a whole lot of time here. But we did go see the most famous statue there: the Manneken pis. Hahaha. Smallest thing i've ever seen, but apparently the Belgians take some major pride for it.
Before grabbing a taxi back to the station to head home, we got some frites. For those of you who know me... french fries will probably be the death of me! Ha biggest temptation ever. We got a huge thing of them and i've never tasted any better fries in my life. Waffles and frites. What a great combo right? Too good. Such a great weekend!!!













No comments:
Post a Comment